Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Dragon of the Abyss

I looked up just in time to see a big brilliantly-green tail disappear under a rock. Curious as to what this creature could be, I moved closer. I could see a gaping mouth peaking out the opposite side of the overhang. It was the biggest moray eel I have ever seen. With a body longer than my own and a width to match, it was a very imposing creature. I kept my distance and had a fixed eye on that open mouth.
My family has a running joke about me and eels because when I was about eight I had an encounter with one that, for some reason, they find quite amusing. We were in Maui snorkeling over black lava at Ahihi Keanau Reserve. It was a shallow site with a lava rock sea floor, so we were only maybe a few feet off the bottom as we were snorkeling. This was great because it allowed a close view of all the critters living in the crevices of the rocks. I considered myself an old snorkeling pro at this age and had no interest in staying near my parents. I swam off ahead to do my own exploring. I was busy playing with fish when I came across the most terrifying thing I had ever seen; all I saw was the giant mouth and the sharp pointed teeth and I was gone. My mom and my younger brother, who had almost caught up to me, heard a muffled shriek from my snorkel and looked up to see nothing but the contrail of bubbles I had left as I bolted as far away from that thing as I could. Looking back in the water to try to find what scared me they saw a good-sized white eel with black polka dots swimming away. I did not hear the end of the teasing for that one for quite awhile, especially from my brother who apparently did not find it scary at all (I attribute this to him snorkeling by my mom). For a good chunk of my life every time we came across an eel I was made fun of for propelling from that eel. Just to be clear, I am no longer afraid of eels. 
I encountered the giant green eel while diving in Key Largo, Florida and did not flee, but kept a respectful distance. After a few minutes of peering out from under the rock the big green eel emerged, revealing its prehistoric-looking glittery green body. As it undulated as it swam, I felt as though I was as close to a dragon as I ever would get the chance to be. This eel could have been a majestic dragon flying through the air. It was an amazing creature and I was thrilled to have encountered it.


No comments:

Post a Comment